Thursday, May 10, 2012

The ONE Word That Makes You Sound Stupid, Guaranteed

Thursday, May 10, 2012
Hi, y'all! Zoë here.

I recently decided to start writing a column on language and grammar, as I think it's a topic people generally get extremely excited about. We all have words that we hate, words that we love, and words that we love to hate. I've written a few posts before: one on the misuse of the word "literally" (don't we all HATE that?) and one about how offensive the phrase "no offense, but..." really is.

My newest post is about a word crime that I am guilty of committing at an alarming rate: saying the filler word "like" multiple times in every sentence.

I'd love to hear your feedback in the comments section of the post! What words really irritate you? Do you find yourself using a horrible word that you wish you could stop using? Let me know, and maybe I'll write a post about it! I look forward to meeting you and discussing online!

More from HuffPost Books:
The Future Of Books In 7 Easy Steps
Amazon Offers 'Free' Harry Potter
The Most Offensive Book Published This Year?
7 Things You Need To Know Before You Get Married
Meet The 16-Year-Old Book Reviewer
BLOG POSTS
Alec Baldwin: Rest in Peace, Maurice Sendak
Around four years ago, I met a broker at a Greenwich Village building to see an apartment. The owner was Maurice Sendak. I could tell that whether I got the apartment or not, I was going to enjoy this conversation. Just from his voice, his timing, you could tell Sendak was funny, wise, sensitive.
Ben Arogundade: How Did William Shakespeare Die?
The exact nature of Shakespeare's illness, and subsequent death, remains unknown, and is still the subject of much speculation. Here are the hypotheses currently debated by scholars.
Stephen Walker: WWII Biography: The Priest Who Defied Nazi Command
I travelled to Rome and walked in O'Flaherty's footsteps across the city to the safe houses he used. In Ireland, I visited the homes of O'Flaherty's friends and relatives and began to build up a picture of a man who was a lifesaver to thousands.
David Kudler: Let the Wild Rumpus Start
If you were to ask me what piece of literature has had the most profound impact on me, I wouldn't have to think at all. It was Maurice Sendak's picture-book masterpiece, Where the Wild Things Are.
Earl Martin Phalen: The Importance of Literacy: A Q & A With Author Walter Dean Myers
I was honored to recently have the chance to chat with Walter Dean Myers about his position as National Ambassador for Young People's Literature, his own background, and his dreams for our nation's children.
Advertisement

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

Copyright © Breaking News Best Site News | Designed With By Blogger Templates
Scroll To Top