Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Remembering Maurice Sendak

Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Zoë Triska here. Today, Maurice Sendak, beloved children's book author died. He was 83.

This is extremely sad news for me. I, like many American children, grew up reading Sendak. I loved "Where the Wild Things Are," but my favorites were the Nutshell Library Collection that came with "Chicken Soup with Rice," "Alligators All Around," "One Was Johnny," and "Pierre." They were such small books that I could easily carry them around with me. Since I didn't have anything else to carry in my purse (but still insisted on carrying a purse), I'd carry those books.

We've rounded up all the news on Sendak so you can remember him as the brilliant man that he was. Here's a bit about Sendak's history of philanthropy. Here is his classic interview with Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report, as well as Colbert's thoughts about Sendak's legacy. If you're looking for something very light, here's a roundup of children dressed in "Where the Wild Things Are Costumes." I particularly love this NPR excerpt about a child's response to a Maurice Sendak letter.

Though Sendak is dead, he will live on through all his beloved work.

More from HuffPost Books:
PHOTOS: Kids Dressed In 'Where The Wild Things Are' Costumes
Maurice Sendak's Giving Legacy
WATCH: Maurice Sendak's Classic Colbert Report Interview
WATCH: Stephen Colbert Remembers Maurice Sendak
BLOG POSTS
Bill Moyers: My Time With Maurice Sendak (VIDEO)
2012-05-08-Screenshot20120508at10.52.46AM.jpgEnjoy this look back at the man behind some of the most magical literature ever conceived.
Paul Szep: The Daily Szep- Maurice Sendak
2012-05-08-Screenshot20120508at3.51.55PM.jpg
Brad Hirschfield: Missing Maurice Sendak
Sendack knew that we should never pretend about the potential danger of human rampaging, but neither should we lose hope about the possibility of returning home. We don't, as Reb Maurice teaches, escape to a better place, as much as we return to where we came from.
Advertisement

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

Copyright © Breaking News Best Site News | Designed With By Blogger Templates
Scroll To Top