Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Awfulness of Classical Music | 50 Years Of The Rolling Stones | Phish Musical Heads To Broadway

Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Visiting a popular concert hall for the first time some years ago, I was lucky to have a fairly genial host whom I'll call Luddy. He guided me patiently through the obtuse and unfriendly ticketing procedure at the "Will Call" window where I felt rather like I was visiting a sort of bland theatrical version of the Department of Motor Vehicles. When I commented that it hardly seemed the promoters wanted to make buying tickets desirable, my guide explained the situation away by means of a sort of denial mechanism, never seeming to lose interest in pointing out the gargantuan monument to culture the concert hall itself represented.

Although I loved the music I heard that evening, I was struck at the time by how matter-of-factly my guide dismissed my observation that concerts might not be easy to figure out for a first-timer.
Phish-Scored Musical Headed To Broadway
The Rolling Stones 50th Anniversary: A Look Back In Photos
Kanye Builds A Pyramid In Cannes
WATCH: Surreal Stop-Motion Crochet
'Pianists In Paris' Takes On Jay-Z, Kanye Song
BLOG POSTS
Tina Orlandini: Reinventing the Pop-up Gallery With Sights on Community
In this downtrodden economy in which the arts are often seen as superfluous and secondary, it is inspiring to see a young arts organization thriving and actively changing the ways in which people engage with nomadic art making and acknowledge the spaces and places in which art is created and shared.
Carmel Dean: Project: Song Blog #3 'My House' -- or -- Why I Love Chip Zien
Isn't it funny how hearing certain songs, or more specifically certain voices singing certain songs, can bring you back to a very specific memory? Like how hearing Peter Gabriel sing "In Your Eyes" whisks you back to your high school prom?
Laura Rossi Totten: Things I'm Afraid To Tell You: Bloggers Post Their Naked Truths
"Things I'm Afraid To Tell You" is exactly what it sounds like: bloggers posting real, sometimes raw, self-truths.
Amy Weber: How Our Society Has Manifested the Bullying Epidemic
Bullying is a multi-layered epidemic. It's like a disease that cultivates and feeds off of the bloodline of social acceptance and like-minded opinion, fueled by fear and pain so deep, it is subconscious. But where exactly does bullying originate?
Johnny Nevin: Dance That Looks Like Music Sounds: Hubbard Street's Alejandro Cerrudo
One of the most revolutionary developments in the art of choreography occurred gradually and unnoticed, as the ability to select music from multiple sources, and reconstruct that music into what is essentially a new structure, became widely available through software-based edititng.
Advertisement

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

Copyright © Breaking News Best Site News | Designed With By Blogger Templates
Scroll To Top